Wednesday, October 9, 2013

{DIY} Etched Glass Dog Treat Jar

I just got a Silhouette Portrait. It's my new toy. I've been seeing discount packages offered on various blogs for a while now and have been tempted every time I see a new offer, so I finally pulled the trigger and got one. The deal this time was a glass etching bundle. The deal is over now, unfortunately, but if you're interested in getting one in the future, just keep your eyes open for the packages offered on a lot of craft/DIY blogs (not mine - I'm not an affiliate; I just think the discount blogger packages are the best deal!).


I used to get slightly irritated when I'd see great projects that involved using a Silhouette when I didn't have one, so if I'm doing that to you now, I'm sorry! It is possible to do this without a machine; it's just a little more time consuming and the quality of the end result will depend on your cutting skills. I'm impatient. And sloppy. Which explains why I'm loving the Silhouette!

For my design, I used Honey Badger font and downloaded this simple bone graphic from the Silhouette store. I've had the treat jar for years (it was a flour canister in its past life before Smokey joined the family), but I'm pretty sure it's this $3.99 Burken jar from Ikea.


If you have a Silhouette...
Create your design using the Studio software, then print it out on stencil vinyl. Use transfer tape to apply the design to your glass, and smooth with a credit card or the scraper tool to ensure it's on there nice & smooth. Remove the transfer tape. Liberally apply etching cream over the design and let sit for 30-60 seconds. Scrape off the extra cream, and stick it back in the jar since you can reuse it. Wash off the glass, then remove the stencil.

Without a Silhouette...
So, warning, I haven't tried this, but I think it would work. If you have tips, I'd be happy to update this!
Create your design using software of choice (Microsoft Word would work just fine, or draw it if you are more artistically inclined!). Print the design, then trace it onto contact paper. Use scissors or a utility knife to cut out the design on the contact paper, and apply the contact paper stencil to your glass, smoothing it with a credit card or scraper tool . Liberally apply etching cream over the design and let sit for 30-60 seconds. Scrape off the extra cream, and stick it back in the jar since you can reuse it. Wash off the glass, then remove the stencil.


I'm really happy with how it turned out! Once we move and have a giant pantry, I'd love to get a ton of these glass jars to label for pretty pantry organization! The etching shows up better in person than it does in these photos. Also, I had no idea how smudgy the glass was until I uploaded them. Oops. But I wasn't about to go through another photo session taunting the pup any further.

 
 
"Seriously, can I please have a treat now?"

3 comments:

  1. Pet pleasures are generally a terrific way to let your pet dog be aware that you adore all of them and you get pleasure from your ex Dog Treat
    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. مكشلة تسربات المياه تسبب الكثير من الخسائر المادية لذلك وجب استخدام شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض ركن نجد مدربة ومحترفة تضمن حصول العميل علي افضل خدمات كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض مع الاصلاح والضمان علي كافة اعمال معالجة كشف تسربات المياه في الرياض او خارج الرياض

    --------------
    كشف تسربات المياه
    كشف تسربات المياه
    كشف تسربات المياه

    ReplyDelete