Thursday, November 1, 2012

Cinch up that trench: DIY ribbon belt

I have a basic black trench coat that's great for not-too-cold rainy weather, but sadly, I lost the belt for it a while back when it slipped off unnoticed on the metro one day. Without the belt, it just looks like a shapeless black sack, so I've been avoiding wearing it other than going in & out of the office or walking around the neighborhood.  I wore it a could days ago when we were still getting the tail end of the Sandy rain, and had an impromptu thought that maybe I could make a belt out of something in the hall closet (aka the 'closet of doom' where we stash basically everything - open at your own risk!). I had some black ribbon with white trim and thought that maybe the ribbon could work as a belt.  I think it turned out pretty well for a quick & cheap replacement belt. Although mine is just black, this could also be a good way to add a splash of color to a jacket too! (The knot is kind of funky in this pic - take a look at the ones below for a better idea).

Materials:
  • Ribbon (I used about 6 yards of 5/8" ribbon)
  • Sewing machine & thread
  • Scissors

All I did was measure a piece of ribbon around myself to see how long I wanted it, then I sewed three strips of ribbon together since my ribbon was narrow. After the three ribbons were together, I double folded the ends so the cut edge was hidden and sewed them.


The end result sort of reminds me of a floppy seatbelt (but in a good way... if that's possible...). The thickness of the ribbon seems good for a jacket belt - it's thick enough to give it some durability and is easy to tie and untie. It's nothing fancy, but I think it works as well as the original.
Here are some more pics of the finished product:



Like usual, Smokey wanted to get in on the action. It's hard to take pictures when someone keeps laying on your work!


And I had to include this timer pic fail. Not exactly quality photography, but I kind of love it. Our puppy is such a goof.

Home Stories A2Z

1 comment:

  1. كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض | الشرق الأوسط
    جهاز كشف تسربات المياه الالكتروني بحث دقيق واكتشاف وحلول تسربات المياه
    - شركة كشف تسربات المياه تقدم لك شركة الشرق الأوسط للخدمات المنزلية والتي تواجه احتياجات العميل واهميتة الخاصة بتسرب المياه المزعجة
    شركة كشف تسربات بالرياض
    شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
    شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالاحساء
    شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام
    كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام
    كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
    كشف تسربات المياه بالاحساء
    شركة ترميم منازل بالرياض
    شركة ترميم منازل بالاحساء
    شركة ترميم منازل بالدمام
    ترميم البيت
    عزل مائي
    شركة عزل مائي بالرياض
    شركة عزل اسطح بالرياض
    شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
    شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
    نقل اثاث بالرياض
    نقل عفش بالرياض
    نقل اثاث
    نقل عفش
    شركة تنظيف بالرياض
    شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض
    شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
    شركة تنظيف المنازل بالرياض
    شركة نظافة بالرياض
    شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
    رش مبيدات

    ReplyDelete