Sunday, February 17, 2013

{Recipe} Chocolate Peanut Butter Angel Food Cake

Angel food cake is one of our go-to desserts when we're trying to be somewhat healthy - light & fluffy & fat free - what could be better than that? ...Chocolate, duh. And peanut butter. I was all set to make a pink angel food cake for Valentine's Day, then Bryan suggested making it chocolatey. Which then led me to realize we should make it peanut buttery too. The result was a chocolate peanut butter angel food cake that is still {almost} fat-free.



I hesitate to call this a recipe since I made it with the help of my good friend Betty Crocker, but I guess you could file it under the 'half-homemade' category.

I prepared a boxed angel food cake mix as directed on the package. Then I added about 2 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa and 2 tbsp of PB2 (do you use PB2? We love that stuff!) to the batter. After baking the cake, I made a glaze with a mix of powdered sugar and water and drizzled that over the top.

We enjoyed how it turned out. I wondered if the unsweetened cocoa would be too bitter, but the flavor was nice. And with only 2.5 g of fat in the entire cake, it's still almost fat free for a serving (or two). Sure, it's not exactly health food, but I'd definitely consider this a reduced guilt dessert!









11 comments:

  1. Hello I'm swinging by from the alhoa blog hop to invite you to join us over at a Saturday Bloggy Takeaway. We are only just three weeks old but growing every week.

    http://chandodaddy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/saturday-bloggy-takeaway-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, James! I'll definitely come link up!

      Delete
  2. When I was growing up, my mom always made angel food cake with a peanut butter frosting. It was really good if eaten right away, but the frosting sort of destroyed the delicate cake after a few hours. This seems like a great way to get the peanut butter flavor to last... and the low-fat thing certainly helps this gal on Weight Watchers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yum, peanut butter frosting sounds delicious, even if it doesn't last long!

      Delete
  3. This is Delish! I am drooling on my keyboard! Thanks for visiting and in your newest follower. Cant wait to see more goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prepared a boxed angel food cake mix as directed on the package. Then I added about 2 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa and 2 tbsp of PB2 (do you use PB2? We love that stuff!) to the batter. After baking the cake, I made a glaze with a mix of powdered sugar and water and drizzled that over the top.
    black shalwar kameez design for ladies
    black shalwar kameez ladies

    ReplyDelete
  5. replica bags review have a peek at this site t6u61f3t45 joy replica bags review like this u5v46l3r93 replica louis vuitton bag replica bags china weblink h2e00g3j97 replica louis vuitton replica bags and watches

    ReplyDelete