Sunday, February 17, 2013

{Recipe} Chocolate Peanut Butter Angel Food Cake

Angel food cake is one of our go-to desserts when we're trying to be somewhat healthy - light & fluffy & fat free - what could be better than that? ...Chocolate, duh. And peanut butter. I was all set to make a pink angel food cake for Valentine's Day, then Bryan suggested making it chocolatey. Which then led me to realize we should make it peanut buttery too. The result was a chocolate peanut butter angel food cake that is still {almost} fat-free.



I hesitate to call this a recipe since I made it with the help of my good friend Betty Crocker, but I guess you could file it under the 'half-homemade' category.

I prepared a boxed angel food cake mix as directed on the package. Then I added about 2 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa and 2 tbsp of PB2 (do you use PB2? We love that stuff!) to the batter. After baking the cake, I made a glaze with a mix of powdered sugar and water and drizzled that over the top.

We enjoyed how it turned out. I wondered if the unsweetened cocoa would be too bitter, but the flavor was nice. And with only 2.5 g of fat in the entire cake, it's still almost fat free for a serving (or two). Sure, it's not exactly health food, but I'd definitely consider this a reduced guilt dessert!









11 comments:

  1. Hello I'm swinging by from the alhoa blog hop to invite you to join us over at a Saturday Bloggy Takeaway. We are only just three weeks old but growing every week.

    http://chandodaddy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/saturday-bloggy-takeaway-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, James! I'll definitely come link up!

      Delete
  2. When I was growing up, my mom always made angel food cake with a peanut butter frosting. It was really good if eaten right away, but the frosting sort of destroyed the delicate cake after a few hours. This seems like a great way to get the peanut butter flavor to last... and the low-fat thing certainly helps this gal on Weight Watchers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yum, peanut butter frosting sounds delicious, even if it doesn't last long!

      Delete
  3. This is Delish! I am drooling on my keyboard! Thanks for visiting and in your newest follower. Cant wait to see more goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I've read many posts about military diet, and I can tell that yours is very valuable.  The military diet has seemingly come out of nowhere, and it’s quickly becoming one of the most popular diets on the net for people that need to lose weight fast. The diet claims that it’s possible to lose 10 pounds a week by following its regimen, which is an impressive feat to say the least. How does it do this? See more http://3daysmilitarydiet.com/faq/how-to-lose-weight-in-3-days.html

    ReplyDelete